I am, in fact, what I eat, though only to a limited extent. My daily food/nutrient intake and my eating habits have turned me into the person I am today.
If I lack vitamins, then that's because I don't eat enough vitamin rich foods. If my cholesterol levels are too high, it's because I have been eating too much junk. This concept is also reflected in people's weights. Ridiculously skinny people don't eat very much, and those who are overweight do. It is therefore important to make good choices when eating. Let's say, for instance, that you're standing in the cereal isle at your local supermarket, buying tomorrow's breakfast. In front of you, there are six different chocolate-flavored cereals alone. Previously when in that kind of situation, I would just pick the nearest one or the one with the coolest picture on the cover. Next time I go grocery shopping I will make sure I pick the healthiest one, the one with the most nutrients and vitamins (basically the one that contains the most stuff that's good for you) by reading the food labels. When choosing what to eat, it is also important to take the food's background into consideration before purchasing the product. Just because one brand looks nicer than the other doesn't mean that it's better. I would always choose the bigger, juicier strawberries when buying fruits, because I thought: "Hey, these are bigger than the other ones. They're probably tastier and healthier!" What I didn't realize at the time was that these strawberries had been pumped full of chemicals to make them appear as big and juicy as they did -they weren't natural. If I had know that these strawberries were practically grown in labs, I wouldn't even have touched them.
You aren't necessarily always what you eat though. If you have a good exercise routine, weight won't be an issue. Even though you eat McDonald's daily, you probably won't gain weight, and the only changes you will experience will be internal, meaning you probably won't notice. Now of course you are still affected by what you eat, but you reduce the impact it has to your body. Another way to do this is to take vitamin supplements. I personally don't eat enough fish, so I take fish oil capsules every day to make up for it, though I don't count this as something I eat, because, well, I don't.
As you can see, I am what you eat, and so is everyone else, though only to a limited extent. I think it's more about how you let what you eat affect you, than how it actually affects you.
No comments:
Post a Comment