I think that what is basically being discussed in the movie Cry For Help is that there are usually visible signs of depression, and that you can notice it early on if you know what to look for (either in others or yourself.) However, anyone can be depressed, and some are better at concealing their feelings than others. Random acts of kindness might not make a difference to you, but could actually be saving someone from taking their life. In the video, they showed a school that took action and held annual meetings where students and even teachers discussed personal matters, and where everything was confidential. This built a "community of trust" in a way, and there hadn't been anymore suicides since. Some of their teachers also had an open door policy, meaning that students could come in and talk to the teachers if they needed it. I think these kind of programs would be beneficial anywhere, so yes, I definitely think it's something ISKL would benefit from. I especially think this would be a good idea for the ISKL high school since we have very tough academic programs such as IB and AP courses, which usually leads to stress, which in turn can lead to depression. Though ISKL seems like a very open, caring community, it's like I said earlier: anyone can be depressed, we just might not notice it.
No comments:
Post a Comment