Sunday, February 12, 2012

Health In The News

Depressed students in South Korea: We don't need quite so much education
by D.T., May 12th 2011 (http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2011/05/depressed_students_south_korea)



Summary of article:
This article says that the main focus in South Korean children's lives is school, specifically exams, 364 days a year, with the exception on the annual "Children's Day." This is a national holiday, allowing all children a day off from school. The author states that South Korea has an unacceptably high rate of youth suicide, and that the number one cause for this is the nations focus on education. It is also written in this article that it is an extremely competitive environment, and that you are a disgrace to your parent if you are a B student. 


Big meaning:
What this article means is that when children  are put under too much pressure, many of them can't take it, leading to depression and/or suicide. It is unhealthy for children to be in an environment where the expectations for them are unrealistically high, and where studies are more valued that getting enough sleep at night. Parents are only pushing their children so that they can have a bright future, however the truth is, if children are pushed too hard then parents are actually robbing them of their future. Not allowing kids to be kids, and teaching them that their sole purpose here in life is to succeed at everything they do, chances are, their futures won't be so bright. This article is not saying that every kid put under too much pressure becomes depressed or commits suicide -it's saying that it will increase the chances because they are put under more stress than they can handle. 


Personal meaning:
I chose this article because I feel like I can relate to everything that's written in it, though some of the things to a much less degree. Feeling the pressure of school work is something I experience daily, and I have had several days where I've stayed up all night doing assignments as well. I feel like reading this article has made me see that there are people who have it a lot worse than me, encouraging me to change my work habits, and I think (and hope) that I will get better at doing assignments on the day they were assigned and not procrastinate until the very last minute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment